Saturday, March 16, 2013

Mantle World Owner Interview - Jtpsops

In our next "Meet Your Fellow Owner" interview of season 28, we chat with Jtpsops, the new owner of the Philadelphia Phat Pharm franchise.  Jt takes over a franchise that has had a legacy of winning, coming off of 14 consecutive post-season appearances that resulted in four World Series championships, so he's got some big shoes to fill.  Lets find out a little bit about him.

Tec: Tell us a little about yourself.

Jtpsops: I'm a 30 year old writer from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada (about 120km SW of Toronto). I use the term writer loosely as my background is broad - english, communications, journalism. I currently do technical writing for an engineering firm, but have worked for a newspapers in the past as a reporter and editor. Single, no kids, though hopefully change is on the horizon.

Tec: Outside of Hardball Dynasty, what are some of your other interests and hobbies?

Jtpsops: I'm a big sports fan - I love to get out to MLB and NFL games as much as possible. I usually hit up a few parks south of the boarder every year. I've been to about 22 MLB parks so far and would like to get to every ML city at some point. I'm a huge movie buff and (shockingly) I also do some writing in my spare time.

Tec: Did you play any sports growing up?

Jtpsops: Growing up I played baseball, baseball, and more baseball. I loved to play as much as I could. I wasn't really into winter sports, which makes me a bit of an oddity here in Canuckistan. These days, I also play tennis, volleyball and golf whenever I can.

Tec: Who are your favorite all-time players?

Jtpsops: Cal Ripken Jr. was my idol growing up and the reason I became an Orioles fan. Loved his work ethic and approach to the game. That's how I was growing up - I hated to miss even an inning of a ballgame as a player. Unfortunately the talent level wasn't all that similar. My favourite current Orioles are Wieters and Jones, though I'd have to say Verlander and Hallady are my current favourite Major Leaguers. Got to see Doc a lot in Toronto, and I think he and Verlander are very professional, stand-up guys, especially considering their talent and popularity.

Tec: What has been your favorite real-life sports experience or memory?

Jtpsops: I've had a few good sports memories. I was at Game 3 of the 1992 WS (first WS game played in Canada) and the Dome was packed beyond belief. Such an awesome experience. I've also walked Augusta National during Masters weekend, seen the Yanks and Red Sox in a night game at Fenway, and had the chance to meet Cal and get his autograph at Spring Training when I was younger.

I'd have to see last year was my greatest experience so far as a sports fan though. I made the journey to Camden Yards for the O's two playoff games and it was electric. Two cold, wet nights, but amazing atmosphere, great games and playing the Yankees - doesn't get much better.

Tec: What's been your most memorable non-sports experience in your life?

Jtpsops: I went to Germany for 3 weeks in high school on an exchange program. It's my only trip to Europe so far and it was amazing. (Not to mention throwing a bunch of high school boys into a country where the drinking age is 16 - definitely a great trip).

Tec: If you were an HBD player, what position would you play and what would your ratings be?

Jtpsops: I'm a smaller guy with good speed and range. I've always played MI or CF as a ballplayer. In HBD, I'd probably be a 2B (yes, I'm right handed). I'd probably have 85-90 range, 80 glove, 70 arm strength, 85 arm accuracy. On offense, I'd say 80 contact, 40 power, 80/80 splits (I'm a switch hitter), 65 eye, 85 speed, 75 baserunning ability and 95 durability.

Thank you jtpsops for participating in our latest Mantle World Owner interview, and good luck to you this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment