Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mantle World Owner Interview - evegoe

Our latest Mantle World owner interview is with another original and long-time Mantle owner, evegoe.  As the owner of the San Francisco Oles franchise, he has had a fair amount of success in the AL West, winning 6 division titles and a pair of wild-card post season berths.  He took home back-to-back American League pennants in seasons 4 and 5, along with the World Series trophy in season 5.  After spending the first eight seasons in San Francisco, the Oles migrated north to Salem for seasons 9 through 15.  Despite winning records in five of those seven seasons, he did not see any post-season action in Salem.  His heart called him back to San Francisco in season 16, where he's been ever since.  He shares some of his background with us today.

Tec: Tell us a little about yourself.

Evegoe: I'm 33, live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and work for the University of Minnesota in IT doing business analysis and project management. I've also lived in Cedar Rapids, IA working for a newspaper and I just spent a year in Dublin, CA telecommuting for my current job. I'm married and adjusting to fatherhood as we just had our first child on September 21.

Tec: Outside of Hardball Dynasty, what are some of your other interests and hobbies?

Evegoe: I'm a pretty big hockey fan who is bummed about the ongoing NHL lockout, but I follow the U of Minnesota hockey squad closely and will be writing for a fan website www.gopherpucklive.com during the season. I've tried my hand at quite a few sports, but focus on my golf game in the spring/summer and try to play beer league hockey a night or two a week during the fall/winter.

I played Gridiron Dynasty on a regular basis for a while, but getting up to 'recruit' twice during the night wore more down and I gave it up. I also play fantasy baseball and football.

Tec: Did you play any sports growing up?

Evegoe: I tried quite a bit growing up--soccer, tennis, golf, baseball, and basketball, but focused on football and hockey as I got into high school. And I stuck with the pigskin in college, playing a bit of D-III football as an offensive lineman.

Tec: Who are your favorite all-time players?

Evegoe: Baseball-wise I was partial to Kirby Puckett, Kent Hrbek, and Ken Griffey Jr. I also loved watching Johan Santana pitch for the Twins. Wayne Gretzky, Pavel Bure, and Paul Kariya were my favorite NHL players growing up. Also Chris Doleman was probably my favorite Viking as youth.

Tec: What has been your favorite real-life sports experience or memory?

Evegoe: A lot of fans remember the 1991 WS for Jack Buck's "And we'll see you tomorrow night" call, but I remember it because I was near the top of the stands in RF over the hefty bag with my mom watching the home town Twins on their way to win their second title.

Tec: What's been your most memorable non-sports experience in your life?

Evegoe: Shanklsa said it best when qualifying his statement about being besides marriage/birth of a kid... because those two experiences stand out... but going sea kayaking with my wife on Kauai during my honeymoon stands out. The whole island is amazing and this day long trip was our favorite part of our time in Hawaii.

Tec: If you were an HBD player, what position would you play and what would your ratings be?

Evegoe: I'd be a RF with horrible range and arm strength, slightly below average power/vL/vR rating, but a good contact, batting eye and temper.

Thank you evegoe for participating in our latest Mantle World Owner interview, and good luck to you this season and onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment