Saturday, November 10, 2012

Mantle World Owner Interview - rugrat

Welcome to our latest "Meet Your Fellow Owner" interviews of Mantle World owners.  Today, we chat with rugrat, the owner of the Jackson Bootleggers franchise.  Rugrat joined Mantle in season 21 as an in-season replacement for original fracnhise owner rwright, who stepped aside as he could not adhere to world rules.  The Jackson franchise struggled for many years with a lack of focus under rwright, so rugrat inherited a franchise with a fairly bare cupboard.  Now in his sixth season as a menber of Mantle, let's hear a little of rugrat's story.

Tec: Tell us a little about yourself.

Rugrat: My real name is Steve, and I'm currently taking a work break. I had been working for a leading environmental non-profit and managed all online fundraising for the organization. Due to a variety of circumstances, I left in March and have been working from home doing consulting work and working on an eCommerce business.  I have lived in the SF Bay Area (mainly Oakland and Berkeley) for 35 years and wouldn't live anywhere else - love the weather, the cultural opportunities and the ability to do just about anything you can imagine within a 30 mile or so radius. I'm not married currently, but have a daughter who is attending Columbia on a full ride.

Tec: Outside of Hardball Dynasty, what are some of your other interests and hobbies?

Rugrat: Film and music - I have an extensive record and CD collection that ranges from obscure punk and power pop, soul, jazz, rock and even some classical. I love film noir and am also working through most of the Criterion Collection of DVDs. I also get out of the house every once in awhile; love a good burger and other diner/dive food places. And you can't talk about living in CA without getting outdoors.

Tec: Did you play any sports growing up?

Rugrat: Baseball, of course, in high school. When they started throwing curve balls, I knew I was in trouble.

Tec: Who are your favorite all-time players?

Rugrat: I grew up a Tigers fan - Al Kaline was my favorite as a kid.  Others are  Kirk Gibson and Fred Lynn (such a sweet swing). I don't really have favorites these days.

Tec: What has been your favorite real-life sports experience or memory?

Rugrat: Memory? 1975, game 6.  There was so much more to that game than Fisk's HR. In person, I've been to several World Series and playoff games, and one Super Bowl (Niners/Dolphins) - all were memorable, even if the good guys lost.

Tec: What's been your most memorable non-sports experience in your life?

Rugrat: The birth of my daughter.

Tec: If you were an HBD player, what position would you play and what would your ratings be?

Rugrat: Well, in high school it seemed like they put the worst kids in RF, and MikeT says any slug can play out there, so I guess that would be it. Ratings? These days, zeros across the board.

Thank you rugrat for participating in our latest Mantle World Owner interview, and good luck to you this season and onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment